Time frame: This is a one year internship
The Counseling/Mental Health Intern will provide meaningful accompaniment to those in need of mental health services. The intern will gain practical work experience in the area of counseling, behavioral health, case management and social human services. This intern position supports the promotion of individual growth as well as the empowerment of the Latinx community and the people that we serve through assessment/evaluation, connection, advocacy, and case management.
Reports: To the support person on the Mental Health Team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and basic skills in counseling practices and methods.
- Ability to work with gmail, google drive and zoom
- Good communication skill, oral and written.
- Fluent in Spanish (we work with communities that don’t speak English)
- Experience working with the Latinx Community
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the weekly staff meeting and Community Liaison or Mental Heath meetings.
- Conducts intake to new accompaniments who call to La Casita who request counseling services and completes the required clinical documentation via our electronic recordkeeping system.
- Provides individual and group counseling to accompaniments on a scheduled basis or through crisis intervention.
- Maintains up-to-date documentation on Client Track: Case notes and services.
- Consults with supervisors and staff as needed.
- Acts as a liaison between accompaniments with local/national organizations to connect with resources as needed.
- Interacts with staff and accompaniments in a professional and ethical manner.
- Commits to a 16-20 hour per week internship.
- Utilizes the tools and best practices that La Casita Center provides to ensure that families are receiving the Love and Care that La Casita is well known for.
- Spanish fluency
- Associate in Human Services .
- Pursuing Bachelors or Masters in Human Services, Counseling, Social Work, Psychology or related
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us!